Characteristics of Korean families
Family life in Korea is unique. Marriage immigrants who understand the characteristics of Korean families can more easily adjust themselves to their new families, and understand the culture of Korea. Family culture can vary by family and by region. Korean culture is based on Confucianism. The family culture of Korea has some similarities to that of countries with Confucian culture, but it has changed in the course of rapid industrialization.
- A harmonious family is just as important as each member's happiness.
- Hierarchy is important within the family. Children should be taught to respect their elders and to express their opinions in a polite manner.
- Parent-child relationships are special. Korean parents place great emphasis on providing love and care for their children. Sometimes, they can overly indulge their children and cause them to become extremely dependent.
- Filial piety is greatly emphasized. This refers to the children's duty to take care of their parents in their old ages.
Husband and Wife Relations
- Husband and wife relations are important, but your role as a son or daughter and a parent plays a large part as well.
- Housework and bringing up children have traditionally been considered the woman's job. But recently more men are starting to help out at home.
- Korean men are not used to showing affection in public. As a husband praising his wife in front of other family members is generally frowned upon, they take a prudent attitude about it.
Adapting to Family Life
In order to have a happy marriage in Korea, it is important to overcome the cultural differences. It can be difficult to adapt to family life and culture in Korea. If you are experiencing problems, consider the following recommendations.
- Try to understand each other's family culture
- Learn more about family tradition from your husband and in-laws
- Respect and follow the family culture
- Solve problems through communication
- Seek help from others
* Source : Danuri (The multicultural family support portal site)